The prostate is a gland which is located beneath bladder of men that transports urine from the bladder out of penis (urethra) passes through the center of the prostate. When the prostate enlarges, it begins to block urine flow.
Most men have continued prostate growth throughout life. In many men, this continued growth enlarges the prostate enough to cause urinary symptoms or to significantly block urine flow
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or prostate gland enlargement is most common condition men older than 60 years of age. It causes uncomfortable urinary symptoms, such as blocking the flow of urine out of the bladder. It can also cause bladder, urinary tract or kidney problems.
The cause of prostate enlargement is not entirely clear. However, it might be due to changes in the balance of sex hormones as men grow older.Some of the risk factors of prostate enlargement includes:
- Aging: Most of the time it is observed in men older than 60.
- Family history: Person with blood relative with prostate problems is more likely to have problems.
- Diabetes and heart disease: Person with diabetes, as well as heart disease and use of beta blockers, that might increase the risk of BPH.
- Lifestyle: Obesity increases the risk of BPH, while exercise can lower your risk.
The severity of symptoms in people who have prostate gland enlargement varies, but symptoms tend to gradually worsen over time.Common signs and symptoms of BPH include:
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate
- Increased frequency of urination at night (nocturia)
- Difficulty starting urination
- Weak urine stream or a stream that stops and starts
- Dribbling at the end of urination
- Inability to completely empty the bladder
- Urinary tract infection
- Inability to urinate
- Blood in the urine
Complications of an enlarged prostate can include Sudden inability to urinate (urinary retention), Urinary tract infections (UTIs), Bladder stones, Bladder damage and sometimes Kidney damageWhen to see urologist?
If you are facing urinary problems then you should discuss them with doctor. Even if you don’t find urinary symptoms bothersome, it’s important to identify or rule out any underlying causes. Untreated, urinary problems might lead to obstruction of the urinary tract.
Dr. Suraj Lunavat, One of the best urologist in Pune, provides best possible treatment for prostate enlargement including medications and prostate laser surgery. To choose the best option, first he test the size of prostate, other health conditions you might have and patient’s preferences. He is one of the best doctor for prostate enlargement in Pune.